« Home | Main | Old Friends »

September 18, 2005

Making it Home

I've got one more bit to blog about before I call this trip done. My last day.

So Jay finished his bit on Friday night, and headed west. I needed to do my bit Saturday morning, and then was free to head off. Under my own command and timeline, I slept in a bit and left the hotel around 9:30. Worked on the site (including a trip back down to the hardware store) from about 10 AM to 4 PM. A few glitches. Definately some frustration. Eventually, though, I was done. And, as I already have said, free to go.

[KAYO, finished.]

So I went.

I wasn't sure how far I'd make it, but I wanted to put as many miles behind me as possible before dark. For morale, but also so I could see as much of the drive as possible. I drove for three hours straight without stopping, and felt great. A huge, orange moon rose to guide me. It was huge and orange and beautiful and magical and I tried to take a picture of it.

Behind me, the same amazing triangular rock slabs I took a picture of on my drive out (see September 8, 2005) glowed white in the moonlight.

I finally stopped, not because I needed to or wanted to--I really wanted to keep going while I was in a groove--but because I saw a sign that demanded I stop. I was driving through the San Rafael Swell, where my friend Erica and I had gotten lost in the desert last year, and I knew there was a place where I-70 runs close to the canyon we were hiking. I had meant to look at a map to figure out the spot so I could check it out on my way back, but hadn't done so and it was dark anyway. But then, like I said, there was a sign. The sign read "Devil's Canyon Overlook." Holy ****! I exclaimed. This was it. The canyon that Erica and I got lost in (or, actually, once we were out of), and it was even labelled. I had to pull over, and even though it was too dark to really appreciate it, I took a picture.

I walked to the edge of the canyon that I had been down inside, and tried to soak in the quiet and the stillness. All I could hear was the highway. Still, I paid my tribute, and I look forward to returning to that turnoff and trying to figure out just where our wanderings took us. The overlook is only accesible going eastward.

After that, it was just driving. I hopped back in the car and drove, drove, drove until I almost ran out of gas just inside Colorado and then again until I was fighting to stay awake and stopped to get a hotel room in Eagle, Colorado. But, they were booked. So I got back on the road. Surprisingly, the break had been sufficient and I was fine the rest of the way home. So I cruised on back to Boulder, parked the huge truck in my parking lot, took a much-needed shower, and was able to sleep in my very own bed. For four hours. Then, I woke up and managed to make it to my frisbee games at 10 AM. Whew! I was even there early, at 9:30, which never happens. Amazing. I was even able to play the two games, and didn't feel sick until I arrived back home afterwards.

Posted by beth at September 18, 2005 2:44 PM

Trackback Pings

TrackBack URL for this entry:


Beth, I enjoy checking in on your adventures now and again. You didn't happen to pass through the Washington DC area in the past few weeks, did you? Be well. Bill

Posted by: bill at October 7, 2005 12:45 PM

Post a comment

Remember Me?

(you may use HTML tags for style)