« Happy New Hair! | Main | Still in the Field »

January 10, 2005

Back in the Field

I'm in the field! And on wireless.

I spent the day with Thomas Nyles, of Portland State University, on Commonwealth glacier. We installed GPS receivers on the glacier to measure the motion of the glacier over the course of a week or so. Thomas will retrieve the receivers next week, and we'll use the same ones on Taylor glacier to repeat a survey from earlier in the season.

[Thomas on the Commonwealth.]

We had a beautiful day. It's been mildly storming for about one week, and has finally let up to make way for some sunshine. Today was the first fly day since last Monday. Flights came in from and left for Christchurch, carrying a pile-up of people in and out, and folks like myself were ferried to and from the Valleys. I imagine there were flights to and from Pole, as well.

The storm left behind a light snow cover, which highlighted dikes in the mountains (to the left) and was scoured into the direction of the wind (to the right).

From the Commonwealth, I came to the camp at Lake Fryxell, one of the large lakes in Taylor valley (one of the Dry Valleys).

We were picked up in a Coast Guard dolphin. Sweet little helicopter. It afforded some nice views of the passing scenery. Or, really, of the scenery as we passed.

[Lake Fryxell’s lakeshore.]

I'm exhausted after a long day of walking over uneven rocky ground in plastic boots and through knee-deep snow drifts. I'm going to tent!

Posted by beth at January 10, 2005 10:56 PM

Comments

Could you say a little bit more about the wireless equipment that you use?

Thanks,

Steve

Posted by: Steve Stroh at January 12, 2005 4:00 AM

Awesome images Beth, truly spectacular.
What a trip !
Will you please mention where the historical (and perhaps your latest) survey results are being published, and perhaps provide a link to a summary of the larger purpose of these measurements ?

Posted by: dex at January 12, 2005 6:30 AM

Keep up the great work! Have a great week (ad infinitum and thanx for such a neat blogger of sorts and mostly have fun! Must be so nice to travel and see much of the world! In my younger days (80's) while in the Marine Corps - I had my share to see Hawaii, and alot of the Far East. Enjoy! ;)...

Posted by: Duane Lee ...8)(8... at January 12, 2005 4:26 PM

hey great pictures...... Lisa and I just got our very first GPS receiver. a magellan plantium, we are having a great time "geocaching" finding alot of treasure in the area.. have you ever done that? go to http://www.geocaching.com/ and check it out. you could place some caches up their for us to find.. take care. and stay warm.. we had a wonderfull crock pot bbq pork over monstorus baked potatoes. yesterday on shift. yumm are you useing your crock pot.??
ROb Lisa and the guys at Lucky's 13

Posted by: romstead at January 13, 2005 7:16 PM

I love your pictures and tales from the field.

Posted by: Sage at January 15, 2005 5:07 PM