« The Best Antarctic Clothing Ever | Main | Whole lot of Huggin’ »

October 17, 2004

Clothing Issue

We had clothing issue at 1 PM today, and all went pretty well. As usual, either the sleeves for the long underwear were too short or the torsos were too big. Sigh. So I went out afterwards and bought some of my own long underwear. Hopefully it will be cozy.

The day here in Christchurch has been rainy. Good thing I brought an umbrella. With an umbrella, it's really pretty pleasant. Plus, this is the last rain I'll see for four months. It's also the last green I'll see for the next for months (apart from some algae), so I took a nice walk with my umbrella through the botanical gardens. The rhodedendrons (sp??) were lovely, and the poppies plentiful. I visited the rose garden, devoid of flowers, just so it will look all the more splendid in February when I see it in full bloom.

There are two flights tomorrow, and Jim and I are scheduled down on the second one. He'll pick me up here at the Y at 7:30; check-in time is 8:15 and the plane is scheduled to depart at 10 or 11. (The discrepancy between check-in and departure is to give us time to change into our Extreme Cold Weather clothing and go over safety on the plane and in McMurdo.) That will put us in Antarctica at around 3 or 4 PM. At least we'll get there in time for dinner. How fun! I am definately looking forward to seeing and getting to hang out with some old friends.

AND, rumor has it we're flying in a C-17. HOORAY! The C-17 is the same plane I got to fly down in last year, and it is absolutely *lovely* because there is plenty of leg room. De-luxe.

Once again, hope for good weather.

Posted by beth at October 17, 2004 8:47 AM

Comments

Greetings from St. Louis, MO, USA! I read your blog with great interest last year, and I'm looking forward to hearing about your adventures this year!

Posted by: Barbara at October 17, 2004 3:50 PM

Hi - glad to see you are going back and looking forward to hearing of your adventures. I am in rural ontario canada and we are in the fall season right now - beautiful time of year but getting colder and days getting shorter and shorter - claudia

Posted by: claudia peterkin at October 18, 2004 1:12 AM

glad to be with you again on our way to the antarctic. Well, with you in spirit anyway. have fun and take lots of pictures. love, aunt pat

Posted by: aunt pat at October 18, 2004 1:31 AM

So there I was catching up with your travels and travails while listening to 10,000 Maniacs unplugged, when my jaw dropped. New Zealand fills there lambs with pastry!! Fascinating. Does that mean desert and dinner are eaten at the same time. Those Kiwis are all about efficency.

Posted by: garyc collins at October 18, 2004 2:11 PM

Hey I like the skirt. good score, sounds like your getting settled in. so when does the the weather really start to change? I have been on vacation and the guys have been missing my cooking so im told at the station. take care and hope to see some more pictures of your new digs.. soon..
the guys at lucky's 13's house

Rob

Posted by: Rob at October 18, 2004 2:23 PM

Hey Beth - it's Megan Shields from LW (not sure if you remember me). I saw your profile on the LWHS site. What a cool job you have! And a very impressive website! Have fun down there. -M

Posted by: Megan at October 19, 2004 7:34 AM