« Not Done Yet: Erebus Revisited | Main | On My Way »

February 10, 2004

Another Antarctic Night

There are benefits to working late. I'd rather be sleeping, or hanging out, but then I wouldn't have seen this sky. How many people saw this sky? Not many, I'm guessing. It was there for me, outside my office window, and I had to go take a picture of it. There are benefits to working late.

I have been organizing equipment for storage and for shipping north. This is it. The end of the season. I had a crazy week last week, with three trips out to the field (Erebus, Taylor glacier, Erebus) and the rest of our equipment--which was over half--coming in, and the vessel on which to send our goods coming into town which meant I absolutely had to organize the equipment as soon as possible for shipping. All-nighter on Friday, and long days before and since then. It's getting done, but of course not as quickly as I'd like. Here's a picture of the office two days ago:

and a view of the staging area just outside our office, the same night:

There are more yellow boxes around the corner to the left--about 17 more yellow boxes. I think I counted 63 boxes total. Something like that. This is the one time of the season since I've been on my own that I wish I had someone else here to help out. I deserve this, though--I've done a lot of great things these past few months, that most people down here only dream of doing. I have a rockstar job.

So, I was scheduled to leave today, but delayed to Wednesday. Too much to do. Wish me luck. Then, Wednesday, if the weather hold, I fly north. With luck, we'll arrive in time to catch a late dinner, and if not, we'll still be able to go for drinks. Christchurch! Man, what a great season. What a trip it will be to be back in Christchurch. I'm looking forward to it, though. A nice release, certainly, after so many long days at work recently. Hooray!

This one goes out to the guys at Lucky 13 in Oregon. Sorry it's taken me so long to get a post out to you guys, but thanks for the messages. You guys rock. Hope the winter's treating you well and that there aren't too many heart attacks to deal with tonight.

More to come, when I have time.

Posted by beth at February 10, 2004 12:19 AM

Comments

i kinda envy you,just a little though. looks like a good place for a bar.

Posted by: bob at February 10, 2004 5:08 AM

what a great blog to read! your view out your office window definitely wins over my evergreen view (currently foggy). so happy to hear you are very aware that you have a rock(fitting for a geologist)star job! and why am i not surprised that you postponed your departure? hope you leave knowing all things are organized and with time to enjoy a wee bit more of mcmurdo social life.

Posted by: wilma - mother of beth at February 10, 2004 5:43 AM

Beautiful as always!
You definately live a dream.

Posted by: Linda Collins at February 10, 2004 6:02 AM

Hi Beth,

What a beautiful picture of the antarctic! Thanks for the e-mails. I hope you have a safe and happy trip.

Dorothy

Posted by: Dorothy K at February 10, 2004 9:59 AM

Hi Beth, My kids and I were wondering if you could go a quick experiment for us. We would like to know what happens if you blow bubbles outside. Would they freeze quickly enough to make an interesting picture? Would they all be spherical? If you get a chance to try it, please write me back and let me know what happens. My kids and there classmates are interested in your work. Will you be back next season? Best regards, Jeff Krause, Arroyo Grande, CA

Posted by: Jeff Krause at February 10, 2004 5:24 PM

I saw all of those yellow boxes and thought I'd stumbled upon a blog for Ryder moving trucks.

Posted by: Zach at February 13, 2004 9:51 AM

Beautiful, as always! Thanks again for sharing.

Posted by: Annmarie at February 14, 2004 10:00 AM

The guys want to say thank you for all the BLOgs . log entries. we really enjoyed them and hope you have a wonderfull trip home. Come by the station some time for some fire house chilie its bound to blow the cold of ya. it's very hot stuff. we have to serve it with a fire Hydrant near by. ochy ma ma..it hot..

"Lucky 13's house"