« Still Here Part Billion | Main | Re-entry »

February 4, 2003

Christchurch!

I made it! ...No, really--I made it!

Our transport left McMurdo at a bit after 9:15 PM, with a scheduled take-off of midnight. My friend Mike is conveniently working nights, so I had the pleasure of chatting with him while waiting for boarding. Waiting, and waiting--we were postponed until 1 AM because the runway was not ready in Christchurch.

But, we did depart shortly after 1. And, we did arrive in Christchurch about five hours later. Yep. We're here.

So far, I've only seen the airport. It was a trip to get off the plane into this weird, thick air. Humidity. And, although it was 6 AM and overcast, it was warm. Way to warm for Antarctica clothes. I was immediately grumpy. Who are all these people? What's all this pavement? What's up with this clammy air? Plastic signs? I want to go home.

Okay, give me a few hours. Give me a walk in the greenery of the park, and I'll probably be fine.

We turned in our issue gear and I sorted my things, taking with me (almost) only what I want to bring touring. That took a while. It is now 9:20 AM, and I am almost ready to set out into the outside world. It smells wet here. Everyone else on the plane seemed to have a posse. I am posse-less. It's a little sad. Exciting, in some ways, but a little sad. I'll probably forget that I'm sad when I go to get some brunch. Mmmm, brunch....

Posted by beth at February 4, 2003 8:18 AM

Comments

Wow! You're finally off the ice! How exciting. I can't wait for my next vicarious adventure! ;) Safe journeys!

Posted by: Sue at February 4, 2003 9:29 AM

surprised. that's what i am. truly surprised. i was all ready to send you an e-mail asking for the billionth time if you made it off the ice. finally you can say that mission is accomplished. now on to another adventure and discoveries. hope you meet up soon with interesting people to travel with. happy exploring!

Posted by: wilma, mother of beth at February 4, 2003 9:54 AM

Wish we were there with you, Beth. Que le vaya bien.
-bill

Posted by: bill miller at February 5, 2003 1:57 AM

Hey, you got an Internet posse anyway!

Thanks for the wonderful adventure. Best wishes to you! -- LC

Posted by: larry C. at February 5, 2003 3:37 AM

Beth,
For tips on good tramps this time of year, pick up a Lonely Planet guide to New Zealand. It will also clue you in to the good places to stay. Welcome back to the temperate zone.
-Rob

Posted by: Rob at February 5, 2003 3:43 AM

BEFF!! Out of the frozen artic (or antartic) waste!
It was a frozen artic waste here (it got down to
47 degrees last night!!). At least you're back in
the land of liquid water. And green. Do all those
people talk funnah? Are you hungrah?

Posted by: Christian at February 5, 2003 4:25 AM